Saturday, April 26, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this

Just my gut, but the tide seems to be turning back again.


I said a while back that The Powers That Be will never forgive John McCain's apostasy on campaign finance reform, and therefore, no matter how fast or desperately he backpedals on tax breaks, no matter how many times he chants "a thousand years in Iraq! Nuke Iran! Nuke Iran!", he still can't get the Innerests back in his corner.

And, of course, the Innerests can't back Obama. Even if 'Change You Can Believe In' turns out to be nothing more than a tiny bit more transparency in government and some kind of government ethics committee with one or two worn down nubs in its gums, that's more change than they want to believe in. They have our government exactly the way they want it.

So, it's clear to me that the Innerests have gone whole hog behind Senator Clinton's campaign, and if you don't want to believe a nobody like me, you should ask Richard Mellon Scaife.

And what's bad, what's very VERY bad, is that I'm really starting to think that Senator Clinton is going to pull it off. Somehow, in some way I don't know enough about the system to fully visualize at this point, she's going to end up with the Democratic nomination.

What I can't imagine beyond that is her actually winning the Presidency. She's thrown way too many Molotov cocktails around inside the Democratic party to have any chance of taking the general election. A great many supporters of either Obama or Clinton are making noises about how if their candidate doesn't win, they will not vote for the other guy, and most people seem to presume it's all hype, and in the end, Democrats will all come together to vote for whoever the Democratic candidate is.

I honestly don't know if I can do that. I look inside and try to measure whether or not I'm capable of voting for Senator Clinton, if it turns out she manages to get the Democratic nomination, and I run into blank, staring incomprehension.

My answer is, I just don't know.

I can't vote for McCain. He's a spineless asswipe I cannot remotely find it in myself to respect. But I have come to truly, madly, deeply loathe, despise, and abominate Hillary Clinton over the past several months. She is a vile, despicable, reprehensible human being. I understand that there ain't no rules in a knife fight, but I'm sick and tired of politics being a knife fight. I want grown ups, especially the grown ups that will end up running my country, to behave like responsible, honorable, ethical adults, not vicious bullies.

I have to hope that I'm wrong, and Senator Obama gets the nomination. But if I'm not, then I don't know what I'm going to do when November rolls around.

Vote for Ralph again, I guess.

1 comment:

  1. My journalism professors used to tell me when examining the bent of any op-ed to consider the source...and back in the Clinton administration, Husband and I used to call Eleanor Cllift "Eleanor Rodham Clift," since she used to wax so rhapsodic about Bill it was nauseating.

    I bet she was just waiting to pounce on any opportunity to see Hill turn the corner and get Clift's crush back in the White House.

    And if that happens, I may have to self-medicate for the next four years.

    ReplyDelete

truth