Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Oaf of office


If you go over here, you'll find a fascinating article about a meeting that took place in the Oval Office a little over a month ago. Congressional leaders were, apparently, meeting with El Jefe, to talk about renewing the PATRIOT Act.

I urge you to read it all, but here's what we Blue Oyster Cult fans might refer to as the nexus of the crisis:


“Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said. “There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.”

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back. “It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”

Yes sir. Now, about that pesky oath you took... you know, with your hand on the Bible in front of the little woman and the twins and your mom and pop and all those other people? You don't remember? You were on TV, and everyone was kissing your ass...? Yeah, I know you were pretty drunk, but still, maybe this will jog your recollection --

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
::snapping fingers:: No? Still nothing? Well, we'll try to get a videotape of that for you.

In the meantime, have another beer.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:03 AM

    Nice pic. And I like the "Oaf of Office" thing, too. And while part of me is outraged, more of me is looking at it as more of the same shit we continue to get from this administration. Yet, still not enough to get the wingnuts to look at what is happening to their own civil rights. I've become so numb....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading pieces about this for a little while now, and somehow comtinue to be amazed how the mainstream media continues to be kept at bay by charges of being "Liberal." Moreover, to all appearances Mr. & Mrs. average American have been programmed to dismiss anything negative about Bush and his administration as nothing but partisan attacks.

    It's more of what threatens to make my head explode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:11 AM

    Let's face it, Congress botched an impeachment recently, and they're simply not going to risk another one blowing up in their faces. We're stuck with this two-legged trashcan until 2008, and then we'll probably get a crooked idiot since everyone will be sick of the latest idiotic crook.

    Every four years we all get together and choose between an idiot or a crook to run the country, and sometimes we get a little bonus thrown in: sometimes the crook is an idiot, and sometimes the idiot is a crook.

    Really makes ya proud to be an American.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:34 AM

    And I thought I was jaded...heh.

    ReplyDelete

truth