Friday, March 10, 2006

Octavia E. Butler, R.I.P.

This one apparently got by our local deathmeister, Mark Gibson -- I didn't find out about it until I was scanning some one else's blog entirely, but apparently, Octavia E. Butler died recently.

Butler wrote a helluva lot of very intelligent SF over the course of her life. My favorite book by her remains one of my favorite books of all time, MIND OF MY MIND; it's a nearly indescribable story of a race of modern telepaths and in it, Butler introduces one of the most effectively chilling villains of all time and space, a guy named Doro. If you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about; if you haven't, well, you should.

Butler's other work is also worth taking a look at. MIND OF MY MIND is the only one I own a copy of, but I think I've read all her other stuff, and even when I didn't find it particularly enjoyable, she was always a thought provoking read.

I'm sorry she's gone.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:41 PM

    ...

    ...

    ...

    ...

    ...

    Ah, well. So few of the greats remain.

    ReplyDelete

truth