Friday, August 18, 2006

Reinventing Blogging





















Now, having done those two panels as a tribute to Scott, I'll lapse into the much easier text style we're all more accustomed to. Much though I'd enjoy blogging in a visual, comics style format, to the best of my knowledge, there is no program set up to make it easy, and even if there was, it takes a lot longer to draw the pictures than it does to just type in the words.

I still might be willing to do it... it would certainly make the blog stand out, as I don't think I've heard of anyone doing a blog in panel to panel continuity, and hey, more attention must be a good thing, right?... but pictures also take up a lot more space than simple words, and when your free blog provider places a limit on what they'll show on your front page, that's a problem, too.

What we need is for someone to come up with some kind of streamlined template for online comics production, similar to what has already been put in place for online blogging. And, of course, we need a breakthrough in visual storage technology that makes clear graphics take up much, much less space.

Until then, stunts like the above are all I can do. But, this one's for you, Scott.

Postscript: Looking at how this came out on my blog, it seems you not only have to click on each panel in order to read it, but you're also going to have to find the little floating icon down in the lower right hand corner that expands the graphic, before you'll be able to make out the text in the word balloons. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, well... ::scratching head:: I don't know. I guess you'll just have to look at the not-pretty pictures and wonder what the hell I'm saying. But then, that's a big boat with a lot of people in it, usually...

2 comments:

  1. Cute stuff. Somebody's gonna be mad about certain wardrobe selections though...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun experiment!

    Obviously one has to find a simplified style and process if this is going to work -- or else find a great deal of free time to work with...

    I've seen some blogs who primarily post cartoons or illustrations - I spotlighted one of them, an artist living in Japan, a little while back - but it's definitely not what one commonly sees, no.

    ReplyDelete

truth