Monday, December 08, 2008

When I think of heaven

I wanted to take a moment to thank those who have used the new PayPal icons, near the top of the sidebar, recently. I'm not sure on etiquette for this; in my younger days, I'd have thanked these people by name without a second thought. Now I'm hesitant, I'm not sure these guys want their names plastered all over a public blog, even one that has as little traffic as this one... although I was pleasantly surprised to find a previously unheard from commenter in my latest entry this morning when I got up, so, I guess you never know.

Anyway, those who have tipped me are wonderful folks and I am very appreciative of their generosity. If any of them would like to be thanked by name, there are various avenues where they can let me know that. Until then, I will default to respecting people's privacy... but please understand I'm very grateful.

If I didn't make it clear enough in the previous post as regards these PayPal posts, first, I don't think of the PayPal tip jars as 'begging'. I've written a great deal of material (linked to from the sidebar) that I really believe is, if not good, then, at least, entertaining. The publishing and media industries being what they are these days, it's almost impossible to get any kind of real notice from editors or publishers unless you have an influential contact on the inside, and I don't... but while I can't judge the actual quality of my own writing, I do firmly believe my writing has enormous commercial potential... that it's the sort of thing that would make a publisher money, if I could get a publisher to put it out there.

So, I think I've worked hard and the work is worthy of remuneration. That's one.

The other point I want to reiterate is that very little of any money I make these days gets spent on me. I'm not saying I'm never going to drop a few bucks on a couple of second hand paperbacks at the Book and Music Exchange, or something like that. But I have few vices and most of what money I bring in goes, always, to my wife and my daughters. That's how it is when you're a husband and a father, and that's not a bitch, a moan, or a gripe... it's a pleasure, an honor, and a privilege. Rest assured, if you like something you've read here and you tip the site in recognition of that, the money isn't going to go on something stupid. In fact, for the next few weeks, barring emergencies, it's all going into Christmas presents. So if you want to tip, that's great, you'll be making the holidays for SuperWife and the SuperKids a little bit shinier. Which is without a doubt MY favorite budget expenditure; your mileage, of course, may vary.

But it shouldn't. ;)

So, to those who have tipped, or who are thinking of tipping, or who will tip in the future, my deepest, utmost gratitude. Which will not keep me from thanking you specifically in the future, too.

Thanks, and happy holidays, from me and mine to you and yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

truth