Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A 'will' issue


The trainer drew what looked like a U on the whiteboard with his marker. "This is the worst thing we can see," he announced to the class.

"A capital U?" Doc mused to himself... or so he'd thought, until the trainer snapped an over-the-shoulder glare at him.

"This," the trainer went on, indicating the upper points of the U, "shows two good scores on a monitored call... but this," here he tapped the lowermost part of the U's downward arc, "shows a failing score in between those two calls. That means it's not that a person can't do it yet... we can train for that." He tapped the 'U' again. "This means that you can do it... but sometimes, you just won't. So this is a will issue."

"And that's the worst thing you can see," Doc said.

"Absolutely," the trainer affirmed. "I can give you skill. I can't correct attitude."

"Sure you can," Doc said. "Correcting attitude... what you call a will issue... is actually easy."

The trainer gave him another glare, this time straight on. "Okay, I'll bite," he said, finally. "How do I easily correct a will issue?"

Doc shrugged. "The easiest way is to pay me more money to do it your way," he said. "There's another way, too, that's somewhat harder, but, honestly, still not that difficult."

"And what's that?" the trainer asked.

"Respect," Doc said. "That will work every time, too."

"If you're not doing the job I want you to do," the trainer said, slowly, "why should I pay you more? Much less respect you?"

"If you're not paying me something remotely approaching a fair market value for the work you want out of me, much less treating me with anything remotely approaching respect," Doc replied, "why should I do what you want me to do?"

"Because otherwise I'm gonna fire you," the trainer said, relieved to be back on firm ground again.

"And that," Doc said, regretfully, "is the source of the attitude problems you're so worried about."

No comments:

Post a Comment

truth